Sunday, September 16, 2018

The End of the Endless

My grandfather sowed the seed
Look how strong is the tree,
Even though he is gone, and so will we
This will stay forever sharing its bounty.


I thought in wonder at its longevity
And wanted to taste immortality
Fearing death and dreaded disease
Cursing my human destiny.

One fine day strong winds stripped and teased
Plucking out like feather young saplings
Then the awful sound of branches breaking
And the fearful crack of a falling tree!

It was gone, my immortal tree
Plunging me in despondency
Can the clasp of death no living thing escape ?
Do I need to be dead to remain forever ?

Look at the old hills and mountains
Or a house passed on from son to son
Antiques lasting longer than men
But oh, they too finally meet an end!

Even the seas and rivers turn to vapour
The wind dies, the fire simmers
The earth too may vanish, I hear
Only emptiness prevails forever.

To live and be alive to the moment
To live life to its fullest
To go out like a candle snuffed
To be remembered than be a pain in the neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...