Friday, December 11, 2015

Dobie and Me: - A Short Serial

Chapter I
I
He nuzzled me persistently, licked my face, forcing me to open my eyes. “No! Not now! It’s too early!” I complained and looked at the clock. 5.30. Damn! It wasn’t all that early!

I sat up and stared at him with a pout. It had no effect on him as he ran out of the room and ran back, his tongue lolling. I shook my head and got up with a sigh. I opened the door and let him out then went back in to freshen up.


I joined him outside and we went for a walk. Dobie filled my days with his warm, and slobbering, presence. Well, that does not mean I didn’t miss my sons Amit and Shiv, who were now in different cities pursuing higher education. But taking care of Dobie was a full time job and it took my mind off the emptiness that surrounded me. When Pratyush died seven years ago, the children had taken on that role, and now Dobie. I smiled at Dobie, who was running ahead of me. Sensing my eyes on him, he stopped and turned to look at me, with his mouth open, his tongue lolling, his trusting eyes steadily on me.

On returning home, I made coffee for myself and gave Dobbie his food. I checked my phone and read messages from my friends and my sons. I smiled at the forwards, the joyful trading of words between my friends and my sons' quick bullet updates. I drank coffee with the phone for company. "Walked Dobie in the park," I posted and chatted with a few who responded. But they all had other commitments. I had nothing calling me urgently. I walked lazily to the backyard and gardened, enjoying the morning sun on my back. Dobie ran out, running around the small lawn excitedly chasing a butterfly. I laughed at this and then was on the floor as he jumped on me unexpectedly.

I lay back languidly, and not because my back ached from the fall. He jumped around me in excitement, nuzzling and playing with me. Then, tired, he went off to a corner to doze. I closed my eyes and remained lying, wishing for a warm human embrace. A face popped up in my mind and I got up upset. Thinking about him will not do. Our paths had diverged much before my marriage to Pratyush. Thinking of him today, some twenty three years later, made no sense.

I kept myself busy with my chores. After a light brunch, I took out the laptop to work. Nothing fancy. Once my children flew the nest, the loneliness was chewing me up. I had no experience to speak of or suitable qualification for any formal job. I met a couple in a party and discovered that they needed someone to do some backup research for them. I was happy to take on that role, and the payment, though not princely, was good pocket money. As of now, the work seemed exciting, but the couple not so. Very boring and nagging – both of them. Sometimes my mind drifted off to speculating on who had influenced the other to become such a nag; or whether that is what brought them together; how did they spend their day? Who nagged who more…?

Despite such wasteful thoughts, I managed to complete my work. Maybe it was the fear of being nagged or an innate sense of discipline.

I opened Facebook at the end of hard work and, after checking my timeline and liking and commenting as required, I typed his name. I didn’t know where he was, if he was on Facebook and whether he was active. I had thought of him often since Pratyush’s death, but never sought him out. But now, the need seemed urgent – just to say a hello.

I found his profile, and browsed through his photos. Dobie drooled next to me, staring at the screen as I saw a proud father of two lovely daughters, loving wife… Whether happy or not, he had a complete family. “I shouldn’t disturb him, Dobie, right?”

“Woof!” he affirmed.

I took the car out and we drove to the grocer’s. A daily visit had become part of our routine as it gave me an excuse to see people.


A little later, I met a couple of my friends for dinner, leaving Dobie behind. When I returned, Dobie jumped on me as if I had left him forever. But since the boys left, he has been insecure. I tried not to leave him alone for long. But my friends and I didn’t always meet in restaurants that allowed pets and I was forced to leave him behind on occasion.

Proceed to Chapter 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...