Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Lady of Light - Part VII

To read the previous chapter, click hereTo begin at the beginning, click here

I was crying in my mother's arms when we were summoned by the king. My parents had arrived post-haste on hearing of my kidnapping and safe return. While my mother consoled me my father was busy capturing Manas, which wasn't easy despite many power wielders including the Rajguru putting their power behind him. He seemed to be weaving a  web around their minds, weakening their skills. He was also in my mind, constantly pleading with me to believe in his innocence. "I didn't harm your uncle. I wasn't aware he was still alive. We thought he was dead," he said.


Though I heard him, I had to answer my mother's questions and so I was distracted. But at one point, when I saw that Manas was able to confuse even the Rajguru and the old man was becoming weak, I ignored my mother and turned to face him, my anger like two laser points. It must have been the unexpectedness of it, for I felt Manas being thrown out of my mind, and also had the satisfaction of seeing him crumple to the floor.

One of the younger ice wielders managed to overpower Manas and the rest added their powers to keep him under restrain. My mother hugged me from behind, her joy emerging as tears. Two soldiers just then entered the courtyard and summoned us to the king's chambers. They also took Manas with them, two of the power wielders following to support the foot soldiers.

I was about to follow but my mother held me back and insisted that I dress up suitably. She quickly put together a simple yet elegant ensemble from the clothes I had brought with me. My mind was definitely not on how I looked and I rushed out as if released from prison. A shaken Rajguru came along. Though I suggested he take rest, I was glad of his presence when going to meet the king.

Though my heart sang and wanted to rise above to meet the golden light that I had seen the previous time, my mind was very preoccupied. Also, the prince was at the gates and ran forward to greet me. I blushed when he took my hands in his and said, "Thank you. I owe you my life."

My mood changed completely and I felt rubbery as I followed them into the palace. The king too rushed forward and congratulated me. Then the grilling began as they asked me all about my adventure. In retelling my experience, I spoke with a bravado I had hardly felt when I was on Mars. I skipped my despair and frustration.

When I spoke about my uncle, the prince had many questions to ask. He repeatedly asked me for the exact words my uncle said but I was really unable to say much. Finally, the prince sighed and said wistfully, "Tushar had been my favourite trainer. There is so much he taught me... I really miss him." I felt a little bereft. Some stranger had known my uncle better than his own niece! Unlike my grandmother who made her presence felt inside me, my uncle remained silent. Maybe his energy was recuperating, maybe I hadn't yet learned to connect to him. Where was the time? I had been so rushed off my feet since my return!

As the Rajguru briefed the king, I took a breather and sat listening. The king turned to me, "So they put you in the shaded part of Mars's fire?" I nodded. "How did you escape?" he frowned and then understood. "Your uncle's cold energy protected you? And he told you that Manas is a traitor?" I nodded. Of course, there was the star that I hadn't yet told anyone anything about, but right now, I felt my heart constrict, for I had grown fond of Manas. He was standing subdued, flanked by the soldiers. But his mental powers still seemed strong for the moment I thought of him, he looked up and our eyes met. He again shook his head silently and I turned away, angry with myself for my weakness.

Another Mind Reader was called and Manas was taken away.

"When your uncle was killed...sorry, taken away, we lost many soldiers, some of whom were protecting the prince. But there was something else that was lost," the king said softly and looked at the Rajguru for a second with an inscrutable expression. 

From the way the Rajguru became even more attentive, it was clear that he didn't know what was coming. "We lost the Golden Shell, the Sacred Womb."

There was a shocked silence in the room, but I couldn't understand what it meant. Seeing me puzzled, the prince whispered to me, "The Sacred Womb is the genesis of Earth, a part of the sun from which the planet was created. It was lost around the time your uncle vanished. It has been in the safekeeping of the Prabhas kings ever since earth was created. There is a key to it, which was entrusted to the priest's family."

'So the Rajguru is also in danger?" I asked.

"Yes, always, but they are far more powerful and better protected than the kings. And it is not as if you can simply chant the mantra. It has to be done in a particular way on a particular day..."

There was so much to learn and I didn't even know where to begin! How had the earlier Shakti managed it/ If only she could guide me! I looked around at those assembled in the room. The king, the Rajguru, the prince, his friend and Rajguru's son, me and a  few of the king's advisors. All looked somber and worried. And I was worried that all seemed clueless about what to do next!

(Continue for next chapter here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...