Saturday, August 1, 2020

The Lady of Light - Part XVI

The Story So Far: I turned 18 and waited to know what my power would be. But all I did was swoon when the enemy was at the gate. I was ashamed but I was shocked to know that I had saved the world and I didn't know a thing about it! Now I do. But I still don't know how to call that power when I need it. And now we are facing our formidable foes, the Daits.

Read from the beginning, click here
Read the previous chapter, click here

I stood facing the King of Daits. Whatever his feelings on seeing the person responsible for his son's suffering, he showed remarkable presence of mind and calmness as he faced me.

It had been a difficult battle where emotions ran high. The Daits were in a mood for vengeance and the Prabhas were hopeful because of my presence. The two matched power for power, weapon for weapon. The result was a world soaked in blood.

I was drained and couldn't have survived without the help of my parents and Amrit, who had an amazing range of powers, the greatest of which was using his mind as a weapon. And he combined that with storms and infernos from my parents and other power wielders effectively. While he himself could handle a sword or a mace expertly, he was able to make the Daits turn their weapons on themselves or their own army in a jiffy by entering their minds.

But that was not enough. Daits had their own capable warriors who were devastating the Prabhas at other places. And I started understanding a little of what the Rajguru had said about the difference in energy levels between the Daits and the Prabhas. When the King stood in front of me with his company, I was trembling from exhaustion while he looked unscathed. The Prabhas king had been engaging with him and now we didn't what had become of him. He too had displayed tremendous skill in the battle but the two kings had moved away to another part of the battlefield. I feared for my king but had to first deal with the Dait.

"Your appearance belies your capabilities," he said in a deep voice that made the air around me vibrate. I inclined my head in acknowledgment but did not even blink. "It will be a pleasure to destroy a worthy enemy, though I will be doing it with a heavy heart," he said and sounded as if he meant it. Such was his confidence that it sent a shiver down my spine. I remained silent, not wanting to speak fancifully prematurely. I had just discovered my power and used it consciously for the first time today. I did not know how to rejuvenate myself, whether it was inexhaustible and even how to direct it. Right now it was easy when there was a line dividing me and the enemy, but when the lines mingled, soldiers from both sides would get hurt just as badly.

I heard Amrit exclaim and fall. The Dait king laughed. "I like the spirit of the Prabhas youngsters. They think they can match me in battle?"

I risked a quick glance at Amrit who was on the floor and writhing. "Leave him," I said quietly.

The king turned to look at me and I could feel him entering my mind. I had been helpless in hiding my thoughts from Manas, and experiencing the Dait King's probing, I felt Manas was a novice. But, I tried to put a barrier as I had been taught. And because I was prepared, I fared better than Amrit. A flash and lightning struck the king. My last bold attack. I was pushed into defense in no time and could barely meet his might or keep him back. He was attacking my mind and throwing thunderbolts at him seemed impossible.

The Rajguru came to our rescue and insisted that we recoup and rejoin 'quickly'. Amrit was whisked off post-haste and my parents and I got some respite as he fought the Dait King. We were too tired to be of any use in any case. The Rajguru had also been battling since morning but his experience and his powers seemed to be of a different level altogether.

I took shelter in my room for a few minutes, feeling all the glow of winning the earlier battles drain in the presence of imminent defeat at the hands of the Dait King. This will not do, I told myself. Winning and losing were part of every battle and the same Rajguru had failed earlier, but he had not let that come in the way of his facing the enemy. He had come with the courage of conviction and not with a certainty of defeat. He did not even let his son's injury swerve him!

I looked for my star high and low, wondering why it was not with me during the battle and I thought back to when I had last held it. I remembered the palace, the room we were in when the battle had begun. I felt the magnetic pull of whatever powerful hid there and allowed myself to be drawn by it.

I was back in the room in less than half a day but it looked transformed. My star shone brightly, almost joyfully, and next to it lay exposed a golden stick. I touched it reverentially and felt myself transformed. I picked the two up and was surprised to see another object shining, a thin circlet of platinum. I picked it up and turned it this way and that, wondering what to do about it when my hands placed it on my head of their volition.

I had visions that left me breathless, but most importantly, I saw Manas smiling. He was not smiling at me, I realised, but to himself though his eyes were turned towards me. I felt a need to meet him, as if there was still something he could teach me. 

I removed the platinum circlet and took the three with me to where Manas lay recovering and imprisoned.

I stood before him and whispered, "Manas." 

He turned to look at me feebly and I was horrified to see that he had become a mere shell of his older self. "Shakti..." he whispered. I felt him gently probe my mind, much of his earlier strength gone but enough to reach out to me. I welcomed him.

"Chant, chant, chant anything but keep chanting..." Even speaking tired him but he waited. I was blank. Chant? Chant anything? What could I chant? His will prompted me to explore his question further and slowly I started chanting a simple chant directed towards Mother Earth, the earlier Shakti. Initially, they were just words, but with his encouragement, I slowly let the words penetrate my consciousness and cover my mind.

"Why didn't Amrit escape the Dait's probe?" I asked as felt Manas leave my mind.

"Because when you probe, you have to expose yourself. If you were a mind reader and I probed your mind, it would be a battle of wits."

"So if the Dait probes my mind, he is also vulnerable?" I asked thoughtfully.

Manas's eyes narrowed as he looked at me closely. "Don't do anything foolish. Just chant and keep your mind closed."

"But that didn't help you, did it?" I asked.

Manas laughed. "Because I also tried to play mind games and took the risk. This is my skill, I fight, live and die by it. My death will hardly make a difference." He looked at me earnestly. "But your presence is vital."

I stared at him without replying. "Did my uncle betray the Prabhas?"

He met my gaze and then slowly nodded.

"Did you know about it then?"

He nodded again.

"Did you also betray?"

He shook his head. "I was too loyal... To my friend."

I closed my eyes. "Thank you," I whispered.

"You are not a Mind Reader. Don't try anything foolish," he cautioned me again

"Even a weakling will defend his home when someone enters it uninvited. Am I weaker than that?" I challenged him.

He sighed and closed his eyes.

I left, intending to go to the battlefield but as I saw the large army of Daits facing the Prabhas, a thought struck me. I headed towards Mars instead.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...