Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Another First - Time

Tamil blog was for a lark, to see if I could write, could refresh my knowledge of Tamil. It is a trial - for Tamil, to be caught between my mind and fingers, and sometimes be mangled.

But it opened a strange door for me - that of translation. Seeing my Tamil blog, a friend referred my name to someone looking for a translator from Tamil to English. And today, I received the copy of the book - The Story of a Seed, original by TJ Gnanavel, translated by me, and released on December 5.

It was a thrilling journey - to come closer to my mother tongue, to interpret the lines in a meaningful way in a foreign language that has become the second tongue, and also to read the story of the founding couple, their travails and how they overcame the challenges. It was a time to learn - Tamil as well as how to live life with a smile always. I had heard about Santhi and Duraismy, but while translating, I almost lived with them their high and low moments.

Now I am like the man-eater, having tasted blood, raring for more such opportunities.

4 comments:

  1. Congratlations. Who is the publisher ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Congratulations....I was always afraid of transalation. I work in a news paper and we have to do the transalation of press releases from Malayalam to English and I am really scared of it...Once again, Congrats....Meera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just what you mean, Shalet! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...