Sunday, December 1, 2019

Number Trap

From school days I struggled
Numbers making me feel strangled
Exponents, permutations, combinations
Triggering severe perspiration



Calculating change to be gotten
Hoping I have not forgotten
The basics of subtraction
Worrying every time to distraction

Now I play only with words
And yet the tyrannical numbers
Do not give me any consideration
When I post and await appreciation!

Keeping me wrapped
The curves and lines a trap
Making a bean counter of me
Number of likes boosting self esteem

The hand holds the phone
But the phone has a stranglehold
An extension I cannot do without
Even if numbers leave me much in doubt.

What do they measure, the likes and comments?
Neither they hone nor assess effort
An illusion in a world of illusion
A false sense of adulation

Come back to here and now
Be true to what you know
Draw lines and break free
Ignoe the numbers, don't be owned by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...