Friday, January 8, 2016

Dobie and Me: Chapter 5

Read Chapter 4 here 

The day saw me busy cancelling all my plans for the next few days. I didn’t think I could enjoy when Dobie looked so miserable. A few friends who also loved Dobie dropped in and cheered him immensely. And me, of course. It hurt, I could see that. And he moaned a bit. It was with great difficulty he had even liquids. His face between his paws, he was a picture of misery. Oh my poor baby!



By 9 in the night, finally, the house quietened. Dobie needed to sleep and the medicines were making him drowsy. My friends wanted to order dinner, but I packed them off and preferred rice with buttermilk. Dobie would go mad if he smelled all the food and couldn’t have any!

By 10, I was ready to go to bed. I felt quite exhausted. The doorbell rang, startling me. I peeped through the eye hole and was surprised to see Gautam there.

I opened the door trying not to show my nervousness. “Hi!”

“I saw the light was on and took the liberty to ring the bell,” he said. “I am sorry for the inconvenience. Just wanted to check on Dobie.”

I heard Dobie whine. “He is asleep. You want to see him?” I asked and invited him in.

He removed his shoes at the doorstep and followed me quietly. We observed Dobie for a few moments and then headed to the hall.

“Thanks…” I started saying just as he started saying, “Sorry.” We chuckled.

I gestured for him to continue. “Sorry, I left abruptly this morning and I couldn’t call you from work. Didn’t have your number, and, of course, nor your name,” he looked at me pointedly. “Thought of checking in if you were awake.”

“Thank you for the help yesterday, today, and now” I replied. “Fragrance,” I replied cryptically with a smile. He frowned. Before he could respond, I asked, “Did you get your car serviced?”

“No, no time actually. In fact was in meetings all day... Khushboo?” he looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

I shook my head. “Have you had dinner?”

“No, not even lunch today… Sugandh…i?”

I chuckled, enjoying the game. “Dinner waiting at home…?” I asked. I doubted if there was anyone waiting for him at home.

“Will fix something. Thank you, errr… Itr, gulabo, mahua, mogra?” he said.

I burst out laughing. “Not perfumes, silly. You must be hungry then. Can I get you tea or coffee? Biscuits?”

“Nah! Gives me acidity, phool.”

“Calling me a fool!”

“No, no, I meant flower!”

“Fragrance, not flower! Being on empty stomach will be worse for you. Wait, will heat up some rice,” I said and got up, leaving him to figure out my name. I was humming under my breath and giggling like a teenager. I had never teased anyone like this, and here I was, delaying a stranger’s departure for a silly reason.

He stood by the kitchen door as I pulled out a plate, served dinner and led him to the dining table.

“Thank you, Mahek,” he said, his voice dropping a notch in doubt.

I looked up, the soft tone touching me somewhere deep within. “Leave your car with me. My service guys can pick it up,” I said.

“I need my car,” he protested.

“Not a blood-stained one!” I said firmly.


“In any condition! I need a vehicle for emergencies. My mother is unwell and I need mobility.”

“Use mine,” I offered. I handed him my car keys.

“Thanks, I can manage for a couple of days,” he said, not taking the keys. “Right now she is with my sister, who has a car,” he explained.

“I am not going anywhere with Dobie in this condition. Use my car for the time being, if you really need one,” I persisted.

He shrugged and pocketed the keys. “Let me know if you need it – to take Dobie to the doc or something,” he offered. I nodded.

He finished his dinner, washed his hands and got ready to leave. “My car is like my baby,” he said.

“So is mine,” I retorted.

He laughed and mock saluted, “Right, ma’am. Good night... Mahek.”


“Good night Gautam,” I said and shut the door after him. I was still smiling when I went to bed. At 45, can you feel as if you are 15?

(Click here for Chapter 6)

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...