Saturday, January 2, 2016

Dobie and Me: Chapter 4

(Read Chapter 3 here)

I was ready and waiting by nine. I didn’t have Gautam’s number or else I would have told him to meet me at the clinic, or not bother to come at all.

I was glad I did not have his number for that very reason.  


I was wearing a casual salwar kameez. I had almost worn a sari, silly me. Then I had wanted to prove myself cool by wearing jeans. But finally, after much thought, I picked up an ordinary looking salwar that I loved because of its comfort and the shape it took.

He was there sharp at 9.30, wearing a dull yellow t-shirt over black bermudas. “Coffee?” I asked.

“Let’s get Dobie first,” he said.

“Did you sleep well?” I asked him.

“Ya, sort of… Hope you had a safe night.”

I smiled and nodded.

“I am Gautam, by the way. I hope I have earned the right to know your name too,” he said.

I chuckled. “It’s a secret,” I teased him. “Many call me Dobie ki ma,” I added with a wink.

“Lovely. Dobie ki ma you are then!” he smiled as he started the car. “Apart from springing Dobie on unsuspecting drivers at night, what else do you do?”

I laughed, admiring how he could make even dreary conversation fun. “Help a research couple with research.”

“What!”

Glad I had made him curious, I explained my job. He smiled and said, “That sounds interesting. I am in IT, in project management.”

“So you travel?”

“If I cannot avoid it,” he said.

“My husband used to travel a lot,” I said.

We reached the clinic and I rushed in. Dobie was awake but unable to move. He wagged his tail and put his face out to nuzzle me. I hugged him carefully. The vet assured me he was doing fine. “Some pain killers and periodic dressing should see him running shortly. Bring him in three days. Go slow on his food till he seems better.”

I nodded, paid the fees and with Gautam’s help, put Dobie in the back seat. I saw the dried blood on the floor of the car. “I am so sorry. You must let me get it cleaned for you,” I told Gautam.

“Not a big deal. Will drop it with my service guys. They will get it done…”

Dobie looked so down and quiet that he took up my attention the rest of the way. Once we settled Dobie in the dining room, since that’s where I spent most time of the day, I went to the kitchen to make coffee. Like yesterday, Gautam also waited here. Conversation was also easier, and without intending to, I was telling him about Pratyush, his sudden demise due to heart attack and bringing up the two boys.

“So you are all alone here now, Dobie ki ma?” he asked.

“Not alone, I have Dobie,” I smiled.

“Of course, I can see that…” he said looking at Dobie. Then he saw the time and shot up. “God, I have a meeting at 2. I need to change… Sorry for rushing off. Will see you later…”

And he flew out of the door. I smiled and he waved.

That’s it… “You and me, Dobie, back to square one.”


“Woof,” my loyal friend agreed.

(For Chapter 5, click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...