Saturday, December 26, 2015

Dobie and Me: Chapter 3

For previous chapter: Click here

Reluctantly I left the clinic cum home of the vet and followed the man, Gautam, to his car. I realised that the car needed cleaning. “I am sorry about the mess… And thank you for the timely help,” I said finally, showing some decency.

“It’s okay… I shall have it cleaned. I am glad it was nothing serious,” he said.


I nodded and got into the passenger side. “I could have got my car, but I think I was not thinking,” I said apologetically. “Sorry for making you drive at this hour.”

“Not an issue, I live close by. I was worried about Dobie… is that right?”

“Yes… you also have a dog?”

“Had. Lost him one day.”

“Oh, I am sorry… Lost, as in?” I asked hesitantly.

“The door was open. He must have strolled out and then he never returned…”

“You didn’t get another?” I asked softly, feeling his pain.

He shook his head. “No, couldn’t get over the shock and the hurt. And a lot of other things…” He glanced at me and then at the road. We were home soon and I got out. Surprisingly, he got out too.

“Can I ask you for some coffee?”

I hesitated. “It is late…”

“I promise I will behave,” he said and smiled.

I chuckled uncomfortably and asked him in. As I reached the door, I realised it was merely shut and not locked. Of course, we were going to stroll down this street and so I had not locked the door! With a palpitating heart, I opened the door, fearing the worst. Luckily everything seemed to be in order in the drawing room. But as I switched the lights on in each room in a hurry, I expected chaos and signs of robbery.

“All okay?” he asked. He had followed me in my frantic rush through the house and I felt thankful for that.

I nodded and asked him to be seated in the dining room as I went to the kitchen to make coffee. He moved around the room, looking at the few photos hanging there. I took the coffee and we sat across each other.

“Thank you, I really need it. I am tired and also shaken at hitting… Dobie?” I nodded. “I would ideally like to be in my bed, sleeping. But I did notice that you had no key, no phone, no purse and did not ask to call anyone even though we left in a hurry. I assumed you may be alone and just wanted to make sure everything was fine… And drink some coffee to keep me going for a few more minutes.”

I was amazed. “What are you! A private detective?”

He laughed. “No, no, just an IT man, but these things stared me in my face. You are a woman used to having your way.”

I smiled without replying. Really? Huh, I didn’t think so. But living alone finally liberated you from questions, I realised.

“Fine boys… What do they do?” I told him. “And, your husband?” I blinked. I felt vulnerable talking to a stranger in the cosy settings of my dining room.

“Not here,” I said briefly, too briefly maybe, for his eyebrows quivered.

“Is he back by tomorrow?”

I hesitated before I shook my head.

“Ok, then I will be here by 9.30.” He drained his cup and got up to leave. I started to protest but he held up his hand. “Can you carry Dobie?” I shook my head. “Then that’s settled.” Near the door, he hesitated and asked, “Would you like me to keep some money in hand, just in case?”

He said it so apologetically that I couldn’t get angry. “No, I can manage,” I said and smiled.

“Make sure you lock up,” he said as he waved and went to his car.


It was a strange night. Though I was missing Dobie, my heart felt full.

(For Chapter 4, click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...