Friday, December 4, 2015

Rain Train

In the year 1986, one of my cousins was getting married. I was in Calcutta that time, studying in school. The wedding was in August, when school had started. My father was on tour, brothers in different cities and it was only my mom and I were to travel. I fell sick the first week, when I had anyway been denied permission to take leave. 104 at night, 102 during the day... But my mother was keen and so we started. Reaching the station itself was an adventure because we got delayed starting, got caught in the famous Howrah jam, but the govt. vehicle took us just in time to see the train starting. The driver and the inspector somehow got us in into some compartment, and the luggage in another.

Anyway, adventure had just begun.



We reached Rajahmundry, and the train waited for 6 hours. The Howrah Mail coming in the opposite direction had crossed the Godavari bridge somehow but told us that it was precarious and we should return. The river was in spate as this was the monsoon season.

We came to Vijayanagaram and we were told the train would take the Raipur route. We went to bed, ready for an extended journey. Because I had been unwell, my mother had packed food only for her to last for 27 hours. We had two young ladies in our coupe, who gave us great company. As luck would have it, a packet of jhal mudi cleared my stomach and my fever.

So we went to bed in Vijayanagaram, and eight hours later, after journeying through the night, we woke up in Vijayanagaram! There was a goods rail derailed en route. So now, we were headed towards Kharagpur! Some people got off, but not my stubborn and adventurous mother and me!

So from Kharagpur we took the Nagpur route to reach Chennai five days later. It seemed we were on teertha yatra - the track was always submerged in water. We were always the last to be given clearance in any station. Food was a problem because the canteens would not be prepared for this orphaned, extra train. Suddenly one rowdy got into our carriage and arranged for food and told us stories of similar journeys earlier.

The Coromandels that started after us reached earlier. We finally arrived five days later, in great spirit and cheer - not to mention, me ravenous and even more dirty than the rest...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...