Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Trip to The Zoo

The "hot" favourite cooling itself off
A plan abandoned demanded that a better plan replace it.

We had thought of attending a car rally, and skipped breakfast, decided to have brunch so that food was out of the way. But then we decided that it seemed pointless going all the way to see probably only the start of the rally.

But by then the children were getting ready, and it seemed cruel to not take them everywhere. Our guilt was more than their disappointment, but well, it was an excuse for us to go out together after a long while.

I have always wondered why we end up going to closed up spaces like malls for diversion. And yet, all I could think of was the Fun City in Express Avenue. But my hubby had a better plan - the Zoo. A trip that would be of interest to all of us.

Amazing that my 7 and 5 year old children managed to walk all the way. They were tired, they cribbed, they cried, they tripped - can I blame them. The entire thing took up five hours in peak afternoon, with very few stalls in between for refreshments. And yet, they completed the circuit.

In fact, my son amazed me when, towards the end, he suddenly had a burst of energy as we approached the section with crocodiles. Is that his favourite animal? I wonder. He ran ahead, announced the names after checking with us, and was generally in high spirits. He wanted very eagerly to see a rhino, which seemed missing in the zoo here. But a hippo, and a pygmy hippo that responded to his call by looking up while ignoring the others, more than made his day.

My daughter followed and the two were as if they had just entered the zoo.

Ending the day with ice creams sort of made up for all the hard work. Especially when, on returning, their father let them both play on the computer for half an hour, and then TV, she said "This is my best day!"

I agree, it was the best day in a long time.

Also read: Keeping a Promise, Leisurely Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...