Sunday, March 6, 2011

Like is not to love

In the book Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King, a man in his 60s tells a 11 year old boy - your mother may not like you, but she loves you.

Love does not preclude like?

And yet, we want our loved ones to have the behaviour we like...or else, that love gets clouded by anger, disappointment, contempt.

One size fits all, what's right for me is right for you, or else...

Is this why relationships get strained - because we can't distinguish between love and like, because we don't know that love is above likes and dislikes?




8 comments:

  1. Reminds me of that quotation I read when I was a teen - "You like someone because, you Love someone in spite off". The older I get, the more I realise how true that often is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very tough lesson to learn sometimes, I feel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. whaata concept. engayo poyte meera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how well said ... I totally agree with you it is very important to know the difference between love and like and maturity in relationships is definitely better when this is known

    Super Yummy Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many break ups probably happen because of this attempt to fit the partner. And I think it affects the way we look at friends, children, parents...everybody, making ourselves miserable in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really liked reading this and its so true.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...